Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Searching for the perfect and apparently Expensive doctor

As I learned more about this Bio-med Community, I also learned that implementing protocols independently was challenging. I often felt like Lindsey's Mom, therapist, pharmacist, teacher and counselor. I knew everything I did was safe but worried that there was more I could do that would help her get better faster or that I might not know something that needed to be done earlier. So my 18 month search for the right doctor began.

I want to make it clear that we liked and trusted our Pediatrician, she was kind, thoughtful and helpful. After Lindsey had received her diagnosis and I gained some of my new found knowledge on diet and supplements, she was my first stop. I showed her the diagnosis letter and explained that I would like to find a way to get Lindsey B-12 shots. She agreed that the shots could benefit her but she was limited on what she could do as her practice had strict guidelines about only working within the board of pediatrics parameters. She encouraged me to move forward on this path, but she wouldn't be the one to guide us thru it. Her honesty was appreciated and her encouragement was refreshing, but now I needed a new doctor.

I started learning about "DAN" Doctors and "MAPS" Doctors, these are physicians that use biomedical solutions and believe that Autism can improve and in some cases be recovered from by using nothing more than diet, supplements and therapy.
 
Here is a LINK to a list of these doctors,
not all are listed here but it does provide a good starting point

I was encouraged that these doctors existed- but knowing who to trust was difficult. In addition, none of these doctors take health insurance, well none of the most well known. They all charge $400- $500 an hour. This seems extreme, but they are treating an extreme situation and will dedicate themselves to the wellbeing of that child. The first appointment is the most expensive- typically 2 hour evaluation, $400 worth of labs and 1 hour follow up. Yep, we are talking about $2,000. So you see why I researched this for a while before landing on a doctor. We found one that accepted health insurance and our $20 copay and I was thrilled, until I realized that we were not getting results or testing or any of the other stuff I wanted and we needed. So the search continued. I kept reading, studying and learning independently and implementing dietary changes as I went. Everything proved to be beneficial.

Then by chance I saw an online invitation to set appointments Dr. Jerry Kartzinel as he traveled thru Orlando (I would later learn this ad was for 2 years prior and a fluke that I saw it). I called immediately and asked "please tell me you still have spots open in Orlando for October (I was calling in June). The response "yes we can see you in August". Unsure if I had the correct dial in info - I looked and confirmed the number I called was a California number, so I questioned him "but we are in Orlando?". That's when I learned that while they have several locations throughout the US they had just moved the primary office from Irvine California to Orlando Florida. WOW! This was great news- I felt like I had hit the lotto.
 
If you noticed in my earlier posts I mention that the book I found most helpful was a book called "Healing and Preventing Autism" By Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Jerry Kartzinel. This was THE guide I had used for 18 months and it had proven its worth to me in evidence of my daughters improvements. Now I would have a chance for this man to personally evaluate and treat my daughter  first hand! Talk about going full circle.  (This is yet another reason I see God's hand in Lindsey's story) 
 
So that first appointment was filled with excitement, anxiousness and enthusiasm. I also had the feeling of worry - after all I was using his protocol - "how well did I do as a student?". As it turns out, I did ok, I did everything I could do without knowing or having labs and tests run. Now he would be the captain of our ship, he knew what tests to order, he knew how to interpret the info and he had the power to add supplements that required a prescription. I will make mention one of his first prescriptions was B-12, this was my first desire at her onset and this small moment made me feel so confident that she would finally have the support we needed. He also provided insight to the industry, hot topics and what is and isn't accurate on the web and in the media. Moreover, he gave us HOPE, he evaluated Lindsey and told us that he saw no reason that if we continued to work hard and monitor her needs closely that in as few as a couple years she could be caught up with her peers in development and communication. WOW! This was the appointment I had longed for and it catapulted me into wanting to share Lindsey's story. If her story helps someone else, if I could help spread the hope, this is what I need to do. 
 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment