Monday, April 11, 2016

Where do I start if something seems "off"?

It's funny how God works- me, my family and friends agreed that Lindsey was "delayed" but it was thru a friend (not an industry professional) who's child had developmental issues that I learned about Early Steps. We had asked our pediatrician (who we trusted) time and time again to let us know if she thought there were issues but she always explained that all kids develop at different paces and that Lindsey was still in the normal range. So, I was fortunate that my friend was willing to share her experience and where she had found a true starting point. It was a program called Early Steps in Central Florida and they assessed your child and if they determined that they had a need they would, for lack of a better word prescribe 30 min or an hour of therapy once or multiple times a week for that designated issue. This is a state provided program, there is no cost and the best news is that the therapy is also done at no cost thru approved providers thru this program. In our case we had 30 min a week for speech therapy and an hour a week on occupational therapy. The therapists came to our house for the sessions and were a welcome source of insight on ways to help her improve. Lindsey's official diagnosis was "Globally Delayed".
 
Please listen to your gut, helping children with developmental delays early on has been proven to be essential in the amount of recovery they can obtain. It is tough to think that your child isn't stereotypically perfect but set the appointment, best case scenario- you learn you were worried for nothing and worse case scenario you learn how to help you child. It really is a win-win! Here in Florida the program is Early Steps: www.floridahealth.gov/AlternateSites/CMS-Kids/families/early_steps/early_steps.html  
 
It is my understanding that every state has a program in place, if you cant find it perhaps try contacting ours here in Florida and asking where you should look in your state.
 
One of the best decisions of my life was to meet these folks, they were helpful, kind and professional. Neither them or I knew what the future would hold but they eased me into a new reality and world that has been essential to Lindsey's success. They were our first step in helping her improve. I only wish I remembered the names of the ladies that helped us so that I could thank them myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment